Thursday, August 25, 2011

"Sorry, son. Daddy has to go to work."

Brandon and Xander were playing pretend as usual today. I let them play with David's old poker chips which they love to count and stack and play games with. They cleaned them up and had a snack. Brandon then grabs the metal case that the chips are in and says in a rough voice, "Sorry, son. Daddy has to go to work. I can't play games with you, son." He then heads down the hallway with Xander in tow and says, "I'm going to Applebee's."

I don't know if I can even tell you all the things that were going through my mind as I witnessed this innocent little moment in their play. Sadness, first and foremost, I would say. This is obviously something that has affected him as I'm sure it does any child who just wants to play games with his dad who has to work a lot. He'll often ask me, "Mommy, when is Daddy's day off?" He's too young to understand the reasoning behind David being gone at work all the time.


I was amused by my little five year old's attempt to pretend to be grown up. I was surprised even though I shouldn't be by how much his dad's absence is affecting him. Each day when we pray before our meals both he and Xander will add "Pray that Daddy can play games with us." They love their Dad and enjoy the time that he spends playing "games" with them - usually Xbox 360 games. That's their thing. It's very rare that I will play them with them so they look forward to playing with Daddy. Brandon will sometimes ask me when he can "teach" me how to play. I just smile and tell him honestly that mommy doesn't have time to sit and play. I'm content to let that be their thing that they do with Daddy. :)

No comments: