Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Cake Decorating 101


Started a cake decorating class today. The class is supposed to be four weeks long but I missed the first week (although I didn't miss much that day.) We are going to ice a single layer cake each class. I will post pics of my cakes each week. Today we learned to base frost a cake, make stars and handwriting as well as transfer a pattern. Did you know you can transpose just about any image onto a cake using piping gel? Interesting stuff. Basically most of this I learned in a class by the same teacher at the public library. Terri Houdeshell is the owner of Sweetstuff Bakery and teaches classes at the library and Old Firehouse.
Brandon is a goof!
I was by far the oldest person in the class today however two people were unable to make it so hopefully that will change next week. The other three students today were about twelve. One of them lost a tooth during class! Then she accidentally threw it in the garbage. Fortunately though it was found. 
Isabella's word of the day "cheese!" 
She said it for her picture.  She is learning a new
word literally everyday.  She is awesome!


I didn't have time to finish my cake but the kids were all very excited to see me (the cake) when I got home! The boys had to watch me finish icing it of course and helped me decide what to write on it. They wanted all of their names on it :) Hopefully over the next couple of weeks I will learn more things to help enhance the quality of my cakes. In the mean time though my kids will enjoy eating them! ...And I get to enjoy 2 and a half hours of Mommy time! YAY! (I'm learning! I need some time for me so I don't go crazy!)
UPDATE:  During this class, we learned stars and shells, etc.  It was a review for me but I enjoyed making this cake for my kids and they enjoyed eating it!  I did turn out to be the only adult in the group!  I was also the only person to want to move on to further classes.   In course one, we went on to learn drop flowers, roses and leaves which were all a biggie for me.  I've had a few occasions in which to practice but I'm sure it takes lots of practice to get really good.  I'm hoping to eventually be able to make and sell cakes to other people.  In the meantime, I'm continuing my cake decorating education with another class!

































No comments: