Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Fondant: Really I'm Curious!

With Xander's birthday coming up, I've been checking out a lot of different cake ideas online. We're going to go with this fabulous sand castle cake since he's having a party at the beach. I found a mold for chocolate shells that I am in the process of making. I plan to use processed vanilla wafers as the sand. I'm sure mine will look every bit as fabulous as the one in the picture! :)
I have to say I love the look of the more-recently popular fondant cakes but wonder when too much is too much. There's so much more you can do with fondant than regular icing but what about the taste? the texture? I don't think I've ever really eaten a cake with fondant that wasn't, well, gross! Some of it just seems like such a waste. A few decorations you can just pick off but what about those cakes that are covered in it or have great big decorations made out of it? For example, this lovely two-tiered birthday cake that I found on http://www.cakepicturegallery.com/. It looks amazing but can you imagine trying to eat it? I was looking at another site http://www.thecookduke.com/ which has a recipe for fondant and instructions on how to make it.
Here is the recipe:

1 tbsp. unflavored gelatin
1/4 cup of cold water
1 tsp. almond extract
1/2 cup of light corn syrup
1 tbsp. glycerin
2 lbs. 10x confectioners sugar
1/2 tsp. of white vegetable shortening

I do have to admit it makes a pretty cake. Maybe the "homemade" kind would be better than the commercial kind as the website http://www.thecookduke.com/ suggests. What do you think? Do you like the new trend or the old fashioned cakes better? Really, I'm curious! Do you like the fondant for its looks? Do you eat it? Leave me a comment.

No comments: