Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Poem I wrote for the Boys May 2008

I DIDN'T KNOW
by Bobi Biederman May 2008

When the test came back positive I called everyone I knew.
I was so nervous and excited while I waited to meet you.
Each night I prayed that the Lord would send a little girl for me.
But the life that grew inside me was a "he" and not a "she."

The woman said "it's a boy!" and the tears welled in my eyes.
I didn't know how hard it'd be to hold back all my cries.
I started to prepare myself for a little boy -
a little boy who I didn't know would bring me so much joy!

I didn't know how much I'd like decorating in blue and green
or how much your first haircut would be the cutest thing I'd ever seen.
I didn't know how much fun bugs and worms could be
or how much fun you'd have outside getting all dirty.

I didn't know how cute you'd look in your little shirt and tie
or how sweet you'd smile while cuddling close and acting kind of shy.
I didn't know how proud I'd be the first time you caught a ball
or how hard it'd be not to smile when you colored on the wall.

Boy, I just can't explain the love I have for you,
each day it grows no matter what you do.
I look forward to all the "boyish" things that I now know will be so fun.
I never knew how proud I'd be to say I have a son.

No comments: